We Are Dealing with—Not Just One—But Two Major World Crises Right Now
#1 (Immediate) Issue: COVID-19
Merchants is following the government and news reports closely and will be operating in cooperation with the science and local rules and guidelines.
#1 Issue: Climate Change
Merchants’ coffee supply chain is based on climate change mitigation with food security as one of its main goals. We will be operating in accordance with our official COVID-19 Health & Safety Protocols (below) to keep our restorative coffee program intact and producing even more coffee next year! Our flagship coffee (Cafe Solar®) was actually designed to scale up in order to deal with crisis times such a these and this is how we can turn this situation into a positive.
… The first thing we want you to know is that you don’t need to actually rush out to buy anything!
We are an education-based coffee company/organization and a great deal of the learning is free. As we migrate more of our operations online, we will be providing enhanced online coffee education in the form of videos, live streams, newsletters, and more. Our flagship coffees, coffee tools and carefully sourced products are also infused with coffee and sustainability education, and this will become more apparent as we work to finally set sail and have a global reach via the worldwide web. We encourage you to follow along and sign up to our newsletter so you don’t miss out on any important updates. –> Sign up now
Thousands of coffee farmers and coffee-drinkers + communities in Canada, US and Central America, rely on Merchants’ supply chain to provide essential support to continue basic operations during this uncertain time. Thank you for your continued patience and support as we all work through this unprecedented situation together.
What We’re Doing to Keep You, Our Partners, and Our Community Safe
With the complex concerns around COVID-19 evolving quickly around the world right now, it’s become clear that we must all do our part to help. We continue to navigate this challenging time and we wish to provide an update on the actions we’re taking to keep our community safe, secure, and well-caffeinated.
Most importantly, we take social distancing recommendations very seriously and have established measures within our headquarters, which include limiting our hours of operation as well as both employee and customer numbers in our shop. We’re also taking additional precautions to keep our communities safe, including extensive cleaning and sanitizing of our locations while they remain open for business.
For customers who prefer to practice social distancing by shopping online, we are processing online orders 7 days a week. We are also adding more roasted and green coffee products to our website as quickly as we can. We wish safety and health to you and your loved ones, and we are extremely appreciative of your continued support and cooperation. It’s not an easy time for anyone, but together we can get through this.
How to Get Our Coffee:
- Shop Online … Online orders of green and roasted coffee are shipping out daily!
- Shop Local … Using the Shop Online quick links below, order coffee for local pickup or delivery!
Sundays & Holidays: 11:00am-4:00pm
*Please check for any hours changes before coming to pick up your order that day.
*Any changes to cafe hours of operation will be posted to our Restoration Cafe Instagram Stories, Twitter Feed, and Facebook Page)
- Subscribe … and start offsetting your coffee carbon footprint … Subscriptions to Climate Change Coffee (COMING SOON)
Quick links for ordering our coffee from a distance …
Green Coffee Shop – Order certified green coffee for home-roasting. Shipping anywhere in North America! (Custom orders for pick-up or delivery can be placed by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org)
Roasted Coffee Shop – Order freshly roasted coffee. Shipping anywhere in Canada! (Detailed roasting & delivery schedule coming soon!) Currently, we organize two roast orders per week, so your order will be added to the next available roasting date for maximum freshness. –-> Custom orders for pick-up or delivery of roasted coffee can be placed in advance here
Coffee Equipment – Order smart, low footprint coffee tools from us. Shipping worldwide.
*Please note that it is not mandatory for any staff to come into work at this time, so there may be some delays in service; however, know that we are doing everything we can to deliver your orders as quickly as possible and keep our restorative coffee supply chain intact.
Detailed List of of Health & Safety Protocols by Department:
Our overall (long-term) COVID-19 strategy involves a combination of personal protection and conscious exposure in the work-place.
- Reduce/Limit Exposure to Others
- Improve/Increase Hygiene
- Boost Immune Systems
Heads up! We have a dedicated hand-washing sink at our front door and we are making sure that everyone who enters uses it. No matter how recently their hands were washed last. (Thanks in advance for your cooperation in this regard).
Reduce/Limit Exposure and Practice Social Distancing
- Everyone is encouraged to maintain 2 meters/6 feet of distance from others.
- Everyone is strongly encouraged to wear PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) on their face.
- Everyone is strong encouraged to refrain from touching their face, hair or ears.
- The least number of on-site staff possible are scheduled each day. (Usually just one staff-member working at a time).
- Staff have become like “clean police” and are encouraged to kindly instruct customers to follow COVID-19 safety procedures accurately.
- A maximum number of three customers are permitted in the shop at one time.
- We are only accepting tap/card payments at the moment. (No cash please)
- No staff member or customer is permitted on-site if feeling sick or displaying any flu-like symptoms.
- Staff are regularly checked on throughout the day to ensure they are not starting to feel sick or overwhelmed in any way.
- All staff who are able to are encouraged to work from home and stay home as much as possible. (These staff are currently working to add more products to our website and encourage social distancing via online coffee ordering)
- Cafe Offering: We are serving roasted and green coffee beans for take-out only … and all are pre-packed in 227g and 454g krafts, and sealed with a label and roast date. (No cups of coffee or scones for now, sorry).
- All staff must wash and sanitize their hands regularly.
- All staff must wash and sanitize their hands their hands after coming into contact with any potentially contaminated object or surface.
- All customers must wash or sanitize their hands and/or gloves upon entering the shop.
- Staff are regularly disinfecting all high-touch areas, including workstations, door handles, and equipment.
- Proper hand-washing and hygiene training is being provided.
- Everyone is encouraged to refrain from touching their hands, face, ears or mouth.
- We are increasing the frequency of deep cleanings throughout the shop.
Boost Immune Systems
- Stay Calm. Everyone is encouraged to limit any stress/anxiety.
- Our daily prescription: One fresh, black cup coffee every day. (Doctor’s orders!)
- Recommendation: Drink teas and warm liquids. (i.e. ginger, herbal, and green teas)
- Consume more vegetables, whole foods, and homemade broths/soups.
- Reduce consumption of processed foods.
- Reduce consumption of alcohol.
- Refrain from smoking cigarettes.
Green Bean Desk:
Our Green Bean Desk is taking all of the same measures as Restoration Cafe Protocols (above) + the following additional measures …
- Staff are sanitizing all demo mugs in that area.
- Staff are disinfecting all high-touch areas regularly , including: front desk, roaster, all areas around the sink, including and especially the faucet and faucet handle, the computer, the table, the cash drawer, and the chairs.
- Staff are increasing the frequency of deep cleanings, including: sanitizing all shelves, mopping, sweeping, wiping down all equipment, and wiping down entire green bean display.
Fresh Coffee Network (Roasted Coffee Orders):
Our Fresh Coffee Network is taking all of the same measures as Restoration Cafe Protocols (above) + the following additional measures …
Reduce/Limit Exposure and Practice Social Distancing
- We ensure our roaster partners are in alignment with our strong stance on social distancing.
- All customer communication and payments are conducted electronically.
- Local, wholesale client delivery process: doorstep drop-off, ring bell/knock to notify, and wait from a distance to ensure pick-up.
- All roasted coffees are being pre-packed, in 225g (1/2lb) and 454g (1lb) kraft bags, and sealed with a label and roast date.
- We ensure our roaster partners are an alignment with our strong stance on hygiene and frequent sanitation.
- Staff are regularly cleaning and disinfecting all high-touch areas, including office equipment and delivery vehicles.
Last modified: 05/07/20