Solar-Powered Coffee Dryer
- 100% Renewable hybrid solar power/biofuel technology.
- Used for drying green coffees. (Replaces wood-burning coffee dryers)
- 100% Off-grid, renewable energy; powered by solar and biofuel.
- No forest is cut down to power the drying process.
- Reduces electricity consumption from 10.5 kilowatt hours per sack to 2.0 kilowatt hours per sack.
- Co-generation of energy produces 15 kWh of electric power, the dryer only needs 2 kWh.
- Reduced the water demand from 1000-2000L/100lbs of coffee to 36L/100lbs coffee using a mechanized, friction-based process; a reduction of more than 90%.
- Cost to dry a batch of coffee is cut down — from $4.00 per 100lb bag with the conventional commercial dryers (powered by firewood, diesel, propane, electricity), to $0.40 per 100lb bag with this first-of-its-kind solar-powered dryer.